Saturday, August 30, 2008

You've gotta be kiddin' me!

There is no picture, but just imagine a very happy mommy. My children are so hard to please when it comes to food. I must say that is really the only part of being a mom that I really don't like,breakfast, lunch AND dinner.
Anyway this morning I turned the tv on while I was making beds, and Nigella was making these fabulous looking pancake things that she said were like a breakfast cheese cake. I hurried downstairs to quickly put the recipe together before I forgot it. I thought I might be able to pull one over on my youngest and he would just think they were pancakes, but I knew my 5 year old would take one bite and he would say, "DISGUSTING"!
Hallelujah, I was wrong they both snarfed them down, my oldest was even ok with seconds.They are super easy to make and they are especially delicious with just syrup. ( I didn't go to the trouble with the strawberries.)
ENJOY!!!
Cheesecakelets
Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson
Show:
Nigella Feasts
Episode:
Breakfast All Hours
Serving suggestion: 2 cups strawberries, chopped into quarters 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sugar
3 eggs, yolks and whites separated 2 tablespoons sugar 1 teaspoon best-quality vanilla extract 1 cup cottage cheese 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Put the strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir before covering with plastic wrap and leaving to steep while you make the cheesecakelets. Mix the egg yolks with the sugar, beating well. Add the vanilla, cottage cheese, and flour. Then, in another bowl, whisk the whites until frothy with a hand whisk and fold into the cottage cheese mixture.
Heat a smooth griddle or nonstick skillet and dollop the batter onto it make cakelets of about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Each cheesecakelet will take a minute or so to firm up underneath, then you should flip it and cook the other side, and remove to a warmed plate when ready.
Turn the strawberries in the ruby syrup they've made and squish some pieces with a fork at the same time. Serve with the hot cheesecakelets.

No comments: