Sunday, September 7, 2008

My new obsession!

I think when I am stressed about something, I cope with it by taking on a project.

As you all know last Saturday I pieced my first quilt. So on Sunday when I found out about my niece, I found squares that I had purchased a long time ago, and I decided to make Tami a lap quilt. Over the next few days I was able to piece it all together.When I told my mother-in-law that I needed to get it machine quilted, but that I didn't want to wait the 2 weeks that it takes the quilt shop, she said she had a lady in her ward that could do it quickly. I took the quilt to get machine stitched on Friday.

Saturday morning I got up and didn't have Tami's quilt back yet so I decided to design and cut out another quilt that Ialready had the material for, for the baby. I got almost all the pieces cut out and a few of the big sections sewn, and my mother-in-law called about 12:30 and said the quilt was done. I LOVE the sweet women who did that for me in one day.

I got the quilt back and it looks so beautiful. I had spent quite a bit of time searching on the internet for instructions on binding and finishing a quilt. So I felt ready to tackle the binding. I had to improvise with the binding fabric, because I didn't have quite enough . But I am so proud, because you would never know. After about 2 hours, last night, hand stitching the back side of the binding, the lap quilt is complete. And I can't wait to give it to Tami.

I have decided to take a class at the local quilt shop, because I have taught myself or figured it out step by step on my own, and I know it would be easier if I learned the correct and effecient way to make the perfect quilt.

Here are a few pictures...




7 comments:

Bethany said...

Wow, Devron! I'm so impressed. Impressed, but not surprised. You're a natural at all things pretty. :)

Jaimi said...

Beautiful!You are such a talented and thoughtful woman.

Tinaya said...

You amaze me my dear. I wish I could get things done like you do. Please tell Tami we are thinking of her

Moira said...

Oh my gosh...that is major talent. Wish I could do that.

Anonymous said...

I still only have half my binding on a Fourth of July table top quilt finished from two years ago. I am very impressed!
Sara

-Special Mothertivity- said...

Devron, here I am (well, my blog info, anyway). :)I'm totally impressed! She'll love it~! You'll have to let me know how that class at the quilt shop goes. That is something I would totally love to do.

Gibbs Family said...

Dev - that's a great quilt!! You are a woman of many trades! Where do you find the time?? Love you!